Technology provides us with countless tools and opportunities that make our lives easier. For example, with minimal effort and without having to leave your house, you can buy various items from food, through clothes to electronic devices like tablets or iPads. On the other hand, you may have heard that online shopping can be risky and it is true. There is no reason to fear this form of shopping, though, since you can easily avoid unnecessary hazard if you follow a few simple rules. This way you will be able to purchase your tablet with no trouble even if you are inexperienced in online shopping.
Finding the right online retailer on your tablet
- There are literally dozens of retailers offering the same tablet model for sale online. Some are huge companies known worldwide, while others are smaller local businesses. Before you choose a retailer, it could be a good idea to check what other customers think about the company. How do the transactions go? How often problems arise? How efficiently are they addressed?
- When you decide on one retailer, make sure that the website you are on is actually the one you want to be on. There are known cases of fake and fishy websites that are designed to look exactly like the original one but their purpose is to gather sensitive information, for example your credit card number, phone number, etc. Look for warning signs such as missing letters or additional characters in the website address (domain).
- Next step is to check if the website is secure. There are two indicators that will tell you whether the site is secure or not. First is a website address beginning with “https”, where “s” stand for secure. The second is a small padlock symbol in the address bar. If you can’t find any of these, that doesn’t mean that the pages you browse are not secured. In many cases at retailer websites the “s” appears only when you are processing checkout. If possible, run a simulation of purchase to see if the “s” shows up.
- Read store polices, terms and conditions of purchase and learn about your customer rights. If you have any doubts, don’t hesitate to contact the retailer for further explanation. It is better to ask twice than to feel sorry if anything goes wrong.
Choosing the best deal on your tablet
- You may have established already all the parameters you want your tablet to have, but when you enter the data in the retailer’s search engine, you will learn that there are many manufacturers that offers similar devices. Ultimately you will have to make a choice between three, four or even more brands. Unless the only factor you will take into account is price, it would be a good idea to learn as much as you can about each model.
- See what experts have to say about the tablet you are considering to buy. It will give you a professional insight into technical side of the tablet you want to purchase. Also, try to find customers’ reviews. Expert opinions, even though undoubtedly valuable, may not provide you with all the information you need. Experts are usually given a limited time to test, play and experiment with each device, thus may not be aware of some glitches which may show only after extensive usage which can be detected only by tablet owners.
- When looking for the best deal on the tablet you chose, don’t go for the first cheapest one you find. Compare two or three options. When you come across a device that is much cheaper than other similar offerings, dig deeper and try to find out why. Is it a manufacturer’s promotion or event? Is the retailer celebrating something by offering special discounts on this particular brand? If the price appears to be too low to be true and you can’t find any explanation why, it may be to fishy and we recommend to look for another deal. In some cases, though not always obviously, severely underpriced items may not be 100% brand new, original, functional or come with missing accessories or original packaging.
Things to do before you buy a tablet
- Before you make purchase, gather as much contact information as you can, including physical address of the retailer, phone number, email address or other forms of contact, if available. This way you will have several options to contact support in case there are problems with your order.
- Make sure you understand the retailer’s return policy. Many things may happen between the time you place your order and the moment you hold the tablet in your hand. If it turns out that you need or want to return the item, it is always good to know the procedure beforehand. Find answer to these questions: How much time do I have to return the product? How can I do this? Are there any additional fees involved?
- In order to avoid unpleasant surprises at checkout, check if there are any charges or payments that will increase the final cost, such as taxes, warranty, shipping and packaging costs. This information should be clearly stated either on the product page or in a special section on the website.
Tips before you place an order
- Now that you have found the right tablet it is time to place your order. Most retailers will require that you register a new account before you buy something, unless you already have one. When you do that, make sure you enter a valid email address and choose a strong password – one that uses a combination of upper and lowercase letters, symbols and numbers. Double check your shipping address to avoid any problems with delivery.
- When you add an item to the cart, make sure that it is the one you actually want to purchase and that the quantity is correct. Always review the information before pressing “place order” button.
- Paying online with your debit or credit card can put you at risk of card fraud. However, you can minimize the risk simply by being cautious. The transaction will be confirmed by entering a 3 or 4 digit security number known a CVV2 code, which is usually found on the back of your card. This and the card number is the only information the retailer can ask you for. Asking for any other details, such as your social security number, PIN, online banking password, is not permitted.
Finally, after placing an order on the tablet, we recommend to record purchase details either by printing it or taking and saving a screenshot. It will provide you with a solid proof of order in case any problems arise later on.
Find it fast: