Benefits of having a non-smartphone over a smartphone.
In the past couple of years, smartphones have become some of the most often purchased electronic devices. According to a survey conducted by the Consumer Electronics Association, 72% of US households own a smartphone. But are these technology-packed phones really indispensable? Even though many people might argue with that, the answer is "no." Here are a few advantages of having a non-smartphone today over a smartphone.
Why you should go for a basic phone.
1. Cheaper- Although prices of smartphones have gone down significantly in recent years, they can still be pretty expensive, especially premium flagship models. Generally speaking, the more cutting-edge technology packed into the device, the more expensive it is, and the truth is that very few smartphone owners actually use all the fancy features their phones have. So, why pay for something you will hardly ever or never use?
2. More privacy- Smartphones are meant to keep you connected all the time and thus constantly attack you with countless notifications. Not only can it disrupt your daily routine, but it can make you feel a pressure to answer and share details of your own life. Since non-smartphones allow only for calls and texts, they can give you a lot more privacy and freedom.
3. No time wasting- Smartphones are basically tiny computers that come with dozens of apps out of the box and the possibility of adding thousands
more. The vast majority of those apps serve for nothing more than spending time in a non-productive manner. Non-smartphone functionality is limited pretty much to the basics such as making calls and texting, so there is no temptation to waste time.
4. No effect on social life- Since smartphones allow to always stay connected, their owners are constantly flooded with never-ending messages and notifications from the virtual world. Unfortunately, these messages often take precedence over an actual human being who requires attention at that moment. Due to very limited access to the internet, non-smartphones don't cause such problems.
5. Less e-waste- Smartphones tend to last shorter than feature phones. Many non-smartphone owners use their phones for up to five years of even longer, while smartphones are replaced every two years at the most and then they become e-waste. Just do the math and no further explanation is needed.
Bottom line, if you need a handset just to keep in touch with your family and friends, a basic flip phone, messaging phone or a feature touch screen phone might be a much better option. If you don't know which model too choose, we might be able to give some tips.
Check our suggestions located below, compare specs, features and prices so you will sure find one that fits your preferences perfectly. If you are on the market for a low priced handset, we advice to read our tips on how to shop used and refurbished phones with confidence.