What you need to know before you buy a cheap phone for Metro PCS.
Since Metro PCS and T-Mobile merged in 2013, the affordable and very popular prepaid carrier ditched CDMA network in favor of GSM. That move allowed Metro PCS to launch Bring Your Own Phone program permitting new and existing customers activating unlocked phones on its service. The program gives users full flexibility as the service provider accepts all unlocked iPhones, Android phones, Windows phones, and non-smartphones.
How to bring unlocked phone to Metro PCS like a Pro.
1. Metro PCS offers its service nationwide, however, if you are a new customer, to be on the safe side, it may be a good idea to check if you will have coverage where you live. It would be a real bummer to leave your current carrier and mentally prepare yourself for an adventure with Metro PCS only to find out that you won’t be able to make calls and texts because of no coverage, wouldn’t it?
2. Once this step is complete, double check that the phone will work with the service. Metro PCS’ service run via T-Mobile’s GSM network, so unlocked phones won’t have any issues with compatibility for talk and text. To rest assured check if the phone supports one the following GSM bands: 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900.
3. For fast internet make sure that the smartphone supports 3G WCDMA: 850/900 (8) / 1700/2100 (1) frequencies or for 4G LTE: 700 (28) / 800/900 (8) / 1700/1800 (3) / 1900/2100 (1) / 2500 (7) bands.
4. If you are on the market for a cheap phone for Metro PCS and you picked the model compatible with the carrier, it is always wise to compare all the prices, sales and deals in order to buy a new handset at the lowest price. You may weigh buying even used or refurbished phones instead a brand new one. Below you can find all suggestions.
5. Done? Once the phone is in your hands, the next step is to buy a Metro PCS SIM card. Usually it costs $10 and can be purchased online or in your local store. The package includes a nano SIM card, a micro SIM card adapter and a standard SIM card adapter, so you will be able to use it regardless of which type of SIM slot your phone support.
6. Finally, you need to pick a plan and activate your card by calling 1-888-8metro8 or by visiting your local store.
Metro PCS has been offering its Bring Your Own Phone program since June 2013. As you can see, switching carriers without switching phones is a pretty easy process and it has many benefits the most important of which is that you can keep your old phone and number.
- Apple iPhones for Metro PCS (58)
- Blackberry Phones for Metro PCS (12)
- BLU Phones for Metro PCS (9)
- Coolpad Phones for Metro PCS (2)
- HTC Phones for Metro PCS (52)
- Huawei Phones for Metro PCS (14)
- Kyocera Phones for Metro PCS (6)
- LG Phones for Metro PCS (53)
- Motorola Phones for Metro PCS (26)
- Nokia Phones for Metro PCS (9)
- OnePlus Phones for Metro PCS (4)
- Oppo Phones for Metro PCS (2)
- Pantech Phones for Metro PCS (7)
- Samsung Phones for Metro PCS (128)
- Sony Phones for Metro PCS (13)
- Xiaomi Phones for Metro PCS (0)
- ZTE Phones for Metro PCS (5)